czwartek, 21 maja 2020

DINOPlaten

I wasn't very active in April because I was secretly working on a new service for my store. For some time I was looking for a producer who would undertake regeneration of platen in Poland. Sending it abroad, especially overseas, would mean weeks of waiting and double the costs.



From a dozen or so queries sent, only two bidders responded altogether.

And with one I decided to try.

Olympia SM3 was chosen as the prototype, and more specifically the one I bought for parts. So I had no fear that the item would be damaged or lost.



After dismantling the element and getting rid of the rubber layer (which turned out to be quite simple), I sent the whole thing to the company


Here the key decision was made regarding the hardness of the coating.
Originally she had 97ShA.



After a fairly short investigation, I found two sources that determined the hardness of the coating in the new machine at 70-80-90 ShA ... Of which the second source recommended hardness 88-92 ShA as optimal.
I don't know if it depended on the model, but in the end I decided to take 80 ShA by risk.



The processing technique is a spray-sanded polymer. Which was unfortunately required due to the delicate structure of the platen core. Usually rubber coatings are created using injection molding machines at 60t pressure ... for ordinary rollers.
With this technique, you can reproduce the coating even in the most delicate case. And the polymer should not age.



After a few days, the regenerated platen came back to me and I could install it. Apart from the color (choice of color possible at extra charge ...), the platen matched perfectly.
I installed it in my favorite SM3, saving the original as a backup.


Well ... 80ShA is too soft :) I say go to 90ShA. The machine works quieter, but the font is not reflected very well and instead of using less force - sometimes you need to add it a little.

So the experiment went halfway. I was still planning on trying with Hermes 3000, but for now I have to let go.

I hope this is not the last word in the DinoPlaten issue - my name derived from the nickname and the color of the prototype ;)

1 komentarz:

  1. Interesting experiment. I assume you measured the diameter of the platen precisely before you removed it. Maybe adding some backing sheets would make it easier to create an impression ...

    OdpowiedzUsuń